Erosion & Sedimentation Control


The Conservation District is dedicated to serving individuals living and/or working within Bradford County by minimizing erosion and sediment discharge from earth disturbance sites through our delegation agreement with the PA Department of Environmental Protection, which authorizes our staff under Title 25 Chapter 102 Erosion and Sediment Control regulations to offer personal in-office and in-field technical/educational guidance, provide complaint assistance, assure the proper implementation of necessary Erosion Control Best Management Practices and review/process NPDES (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System) Construction, ESCGP-2 (oil-gas related) and E&S (timber harvesting and road maintenance related) permit applications as well as standard (non-permit) erosion control plans. 
102 Permit Forms
Will an Erosion Control Plan be required for my project?
This is one of the most common questions we receive at the Bradford County Conservation District, and the answer depends on the specific circumstances of the project.  The following describes cases when a plan may or may not be needed.
1.   A project disturbing 0 - 5,000 square feet does not require a written plan UNLESS:
  • It is a municipal or County requirement
  • It is needed as part of a DEP permit (i.e. General Permits)
  • It is located within a High Quality (HQ) or Exceptional Value (EV) watershed

2.   A written plan is required for all projects disturbing between 5,000 square feet and less than 1 square acre.However, this plan does not need to be submitted to our office for approval unless it is a municipal or County requirement or a Chapter 105 permit or HQ/EV watershed is involved.
3.   Projects encompassing 1 acre or more require the submission and approval of a NPDES permit application.This submission must satisfy all items detailed on the NPDES application checklist.[Agricultural plowing and tilling, forestry operations, watershed restoration, mining, road maintenance activities, and oil and gas activities are exempt from the need for an approved NPDES construction permit]
4.   Forestry and road maintenance activities disturbing more than 25 acres require an E&S permit, while oil and gas related activities disturbing more than 5 acres over the project lifetime require and ESCGP-2 permit.
Hopefully this helps clear up some of the questions you may have had. If you have any further questions, or would like to discuss your project, please feel free contact us at the Conservation District.

For more information about
Erosion & Sedimentation Control Contact:
Brad Cummings
Jonathan Vannoy
[email protected]